Wednesday, June 28, 2006


Roads of India

I was wondering how ladies of the past who conformed to the *"rules of good lady", managed to be so...
Well, let me explain the basis of my doubt. I was walking from the cafeteria towards my work place... I was alone and lost in thoughts... so, i was staring at the road while walking... There was a profile of a Toad (hey this is not some DW tool, it is a real toad)... poor thing got smashed by one of the cars parked there... Yuck!!! So, I had to walk the way Mahakavi Bharathi (a well known patriotic tamil poet) wanted from a "Pudhumai Pen" (like me ;-)) : "Nimirntha Nadayum, Nerkonda Paarvaiyum" (that means, "Strides that are erect and a look that is straight" don't ask me if those old ladies had a crooked way of walking and looking... they just bent their heads down)
This made me think of our Indian roads. Don't ever dare to look at the road while walking, even out of "adakkam" or "thoughts" especially when u r @ chennai. you'll end up vomiting... As the road belongs to every man here... He makes use of it perfectly... as his dustbin, W.C, or a place to throw off his mucus... (to be fair, replace he with she wherever it is applicable)

* There was a tradition in India that women should walk with their heads down, (don't worry there was not much traffic in those days!!!, they won't be hit by tanker lorries ;-)) and Subramaniya Bharathi, A great poet protested. And tried to save women from this plight.

4 comments:

schmetterlingwords said...

Hey Saaral,

I agree with u... The roads here are pretty bad... They would be neat only out of self-discipline in every individual who uses the roads. And, in a country like ours, self-discipline in everyone is a cherished dream for us!!! ;))

But, if u say, "Don't ever dare to look at the road while walking.... you'll end up vomiting... " dont u think if u dont look down and walk, u'll end up landing ur legs right over the smashed toad and vomit?? Wat say?? ;))

Kirubakaran A said...

u mean the filthy men have easily accomplished what bharathi strived so hard for!

reminds me of the fable of the north wind and the sun :-)

Meena Athmanathan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Meena Athmanathan said...

@sangfroid

I suggest wearing a boot than looking down for ----

@kirubakaran

:D
But the fable says "Persuasion is better than Force." It is exactly opposite here...
Bharathi persuaded... yet didn't achieve much (at least not during his time)